The flow charts at the end of this chapter illustrate the processes for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children:
- from the point that concerns are raised about a child and are referred to a statutory organisation that can take action to safeguard and promote the welfare of children (Flow chart 1);
- through an initial assessment of the child’s situation and what happens after that (Flow chart 2);
- taking urgent action, if necessary (Flow chart 3);
- to the strategy discussion, where there are concerns about a child’s safety, and beyond that to the child protection conference (Flow chart 4); and
- what happens after the child protection conference, and the review process (Flow chart 5).